Experienced Product Liability Lawyers in St. Louis, Missouri
Defective or dangerous products cause thousands of injuries nationwide every year. If you have been injured because of a commercial product you used, you may have a product liability claim for damages. Our St. Louis product liability attorneys at Rogers Sevastianos & Bante, LLP can provide the skilled legal representation you need to pursue full and fair compensation. We work directly with our clients to keep them fully informed of their rights and options.
What Is Product Liability?
In a legal context, product liability means holding a manufacturer or seller liable for placing defective products into the hands of consumers. Responsibility for defective products that cause injury lies with sellers in the distribution chain of the product. A product may be considered defective if it does not meet the ordinary expectations of the consumer.
Types of Product Defects
The plaintiff in a product liability case must prove that the product that caused the injury was defective and, therefore, unreasonably dangerous because of the defect. The three types of defects that may give rise to a product liability claim are:
- Design defects: This occurs when the design of the product is inherently unsafe.
- Manufacturing defects: Defects occur in the course of manufacturing or assembling the product.
- Marketing defects: The product is improperly labeled with insufficient instructions, inadequate safety warnings, or other marketing flaws.
Defective Product Examples
Many types of defective products can cause injury to consumers, including:
- Dangerous drugs
- Defective medical devices
- Defective automobiles and parts
- Defective machinery and tools
- Dangerous children’s products
- Defective firearms
- Contaminated food products
- Unsafe recreational products
Who Is Responsible for Damages in a Product Liability Claim?
Product liability claims can only arise from products sold in the marketplace. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the case, the responsible party may be the:
- Product manufacturer
- Component part manufacturer
- Assembler or installer
- Product distributor
- Retail store that sold the product to the consumer
What Types of Damages Are Recoverable in a Product Liability Case?
The amount of compensation that may be recovered in a product liability claim depends on the severity of injuries and extent of the damages suffered. Damages may include past and future medical expenses, lost earnings, pain and suffering, and other losses. In certain cases, the court may award punitive damages to punish the defendant for grossly negligent or malicious behavior.
What Should You Do If You Have Been Injured by a Defective Product?
If a dangerous or defective product has caused injury to you or a loved one:
- Keep the product in its current condition.
- Photograph the product and your injuries.
- Document the incident.
- Seek medical attention for your injuries.
- Save all invoices and receipts.
- Speak with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
Product liability cases can be complex. Our St. Louis product liability lawyers at Rogers Sevastianos & Bante, LLP can guide you through the process, protect your interests, and tenaciously pursue the compensation you are entitled to receive. Contact us or call our office to schedule a consultation after an injury caused by a defective product.